Carbon Monoxide Tragedy

 

carbon monoxide

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a serious concern.  More than 10,000 people are poisoned in the United States every year from Carbon Monoxide, and more than 500 die.

The recent carbon monoxide related deaths of eight family members in nearby Maryland of eight family members has compelled me to reach out to the professionals at HomePro Systems for some recommendations on how to prevent a similar tragedy.

Improperly working appliances can produce fatal levels of carbon monoxide, says John Spoehr of HomePro.  Grilling indoors, or warming up your car in the garage can also produce harmful levels.

The initial symptoms of poisoning are similar to the flu and can include headache, fatigue and nausea.  The symptoms will disappear when you leave the home, but reappear when you return.

John also notes that carbon monoxide alarms are readily available and inexpensive.  The ideal location for an alarm, says Spoehr, is in the bedroom ceiling of the youngest member of the family.  While required in the City of Wilmington, but not in the County, they are a tremendously worthwhile safety device to have in your home.  They are installed just like a smoke alarm, and as such, need the batteries changed regularly.

Please keep safe and enjoy your home!
Jeff

agent